Monday, February 20, 2023

Week 12

 February 15 - 19
Risen Star Stakes Day

Certainly the highlight for a somewhat mediocre week of racing results was being at the track on Saturday when MY filly Balletic - owned through the MyRacehorse group - romped home a winner and I was able to be in the winners' circle with all the other owners in the group.  But that's later in this week's story.  The first three days of the week saw me score just twice.  I'd have to say that - in my opinion - half the "problem" was that I was simply wrong, and the other half was the continued parade of "go figure" upset winners.  It seemed like more races than through the first eleven weeks were logical winners, where I went another way, and when it was a longshot that nobody saw coming it seemed like it was in a race where I had a pick.  On Wednesday the lone win on the card came in the sixth race, a claiming event going two turns on the synthetic.  She's So Pretty went off at a fair 2/1 price and pressed the leader into the lane.  Edged to the front and then it took a long examination of the photo finish to determine that she'd JUST held off the 13/1 closer on the outside (you can see the official photo in the lower right corner).  On Thursday I just couldn't find the winner's circle at all.  Ran 2nd, and a close second with my first two picks and then fourth in the other three races.  On Friday it was a two part story.  First, I was rewarded - for one of the few times in the week's racing - when I believed that putting Irad Ortiz on Jack the Cat would lead to a better timed ride and a win.  He sat the perfect trip, moved at the perfect time and though the margin was small, was a comfortable winner.  The second story of the day came in the day's finale.  West Bank had been a best-of-the-rest second in his debut for Bill Mott who typically does NOT have them ready at first asking.  His Beyer was clearly the fastest and he was in a moderate, at best MOC $50K event.  He was EVERYBODY'S and I MEAN EVERYBODY'S SINGLE in the Pick-6, late Pick-5, late Pick-4 - every multi-race wager.  AND was my "BEST Bet" of the day.  Tracked the 13/1 pacesetter while well in hand through the turn.  Cruised up to engage him and glided past to put a head in front with a furlong to go.  Then when the front runner would not give in willingly. West Bank had no response and hung to be second as the prohibitive favorite while the winner paid $28.40 for a $2 bet.



Saturday - Risen Star Stakes Day

As I said on the main page, Saturday was a "mixed feelings" kind of day at the races.  To be sure, being there in person to see a horse I'm a part-owner of WIN was more exciting than I could have imagined.  And to be in the winners' circle was really cool.  I've been in the winners' circle more than once when I've paid to have a race named for an occasion, but to be there with MY horse was special.  And to be outside all day in glorious South Florida winter weather is always great - while at the races.  AND I won nearly 35% of the time, so I was cashing tickets.  All the elements that would make up a good day.  But unfortunately, multiple winners I had were small investments, and ALL of them were short priced winners.  And many bets that were added investments did not produce, often at short prices.  Still, enjoyed the day overall, but certainly not as great as it could have been.  The big races were being run at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans where I've been fortunate to visit three times.  The first time came the year I retired and I had written ahead of time to the track if I could meet with announcer John G. Dooley and analyst Katie Mikolay.  Not only did they let me meet them, but the two took me into the studio to sit in on their analysis of that day's races.  And when it came to the big races Katie said on air, "Wait, I want to know what our guest Mark thinks of the race."  That, and that they willingly posed for a photo with me were really cool.  The second time I went was with my in-laws and my wife.  And what I remember most about that day at the Fair Grounds was not cashing a ticket.  The third time I went was with my good late friend Jim Anderson.  Man, I miss that guy.  I had a great day both overall and with the local Fair Ground races.  That weekend we stayed an extra day and did some touring of the city and I remember how much fun we had together.  Sigh....taken way too soon, way too young.  The first winner I had was at Laurel where they were running multiple stakes.  This was an allowance and I had to balance the angles of "lone speed" and "a quitter, is a quitter, IS a quitter" with Nostalgic Run.  He ALWAYS was loose on the lead and had caved in nearly every instance.  But what made me bet him here was the one time he'd held on over the last year was the one race he went today's extended nine furlong distance.  Quickly opened up by more than a dozen.  Clear by have a dozen turning for home.  Still clear by four with a furlong left, but was only half a length clear on the wire which could not have come any later!

I got my first (of SIX) winners in New Orleans in their second race with Brad Cox's Comparative.  Another "which way to go" pick because she was making her SIXTH start and maybe it was time to give up on her, but she had run competitively going two turns like this race.  Opted to give her one more chance and she won by daylight.

In Aqueduct's featured event, reduced to four horses I watched my "obvious" 3/5 pick run 2nd in a four horse field.  And then in Laurel's Miracle Wood Stakes I watched as Prince of Jericho ran 2nd at 1-2 odds in a race 37 of the 38 Beyers on the page would not beat any of the LAST THREE Beyers he'd posted.  That one number was earned by Coffeewithchris who was a 16/1 upset winner over Prince Jericho two back, but had been soundly beaten by him last time.  He wired the field again at a nice price.  WOW.  Scored with another Brad Cox's Merlazza who scored going away.  Then it was time for MY filly Balletic to run.  She'd been out twice here at Gulfstream and I was in attendance both times.  The first time I came with Kim, and the second time with Keith.  Both times she'd run 2nd.  I was surprised after her initial dirt, sprint try that trainer Todd Pletcher put her in a turf sprint.  Before today's race he was interviewed for the ownership group and said he still thought she had a future around two turns on the main track but it just made since to run her back in a race similar to the last where she'd run so well.

Today I thought, genuinely, would be her day.  I was not fortunate enough to "win the lottery" to be in the paddock pre-race but when trainer Todd Pletcher and his wife both walked in - he'd never been in the paddock for the first two - I thought today REALLY might be the day.  Jockey Irad Ortiz got her in the clear and tracking the front runner to the turn.  Balletic took over willingly, opened up and ran away as easily MUCH the best.  The whole final furlong all of the owners, including me were cheering enthusiastically.  Everyone began heading for the winner's circle and I wondered if there would have to be some kind of pass or something but no, we all just filed in and lined up for the pic.  The MyRacehorse gal who was hosting shot a quick video as we all cheered - see it in the highlight video below.  Was really cool experience.



I "won" the fifth at the Fair Grounds and I use quotes because....I went up to one of "my girls" - the twins who are tellers at Gulfstream and said "$10 to win at the Fair Grounds on #6."  Karen said, "On this upcoming race?"  And I said yes, and then looked at my sheet and said, "No, sorry, it's the 6th race."  Got my ticket, walked away and looked up at the board and we were about eight minutes away from Race 5.  I went back up to her and said, "Sorry, I was right - it IS Race 5."  She punched it in and said, "Sorry, I thought so, the #6 is scratched."  Walked away and didn't watch the race any way.  Then that night when checking prices I saw that my pick, Bishop's Bay HAD run, and HAD won....but was actually the #5.  In the Nellie Morse Stakes at Laurel I had picked Hybrid Eclipse.  She was taking heavy betting action so I doubled my original minimum bet.  Ranged up four wide and drew off impressively.  Minutes later I watched Lake Lucerne rally up the fence to win the Al Stall Memorial Stakes at the Fair Grounds.  What was unusual here is, when I say "rallied up the fence" it always means a runner slipped through up the inside.  But the Fair Grounds turf course has had soooo many issues that it currently is a very narrow strip of space and in THIS instance, Lake Lucerne rallied up the OUTSIDE rail!  At one point I thought the drifting front runner was going to rub her into the grandstands, wow.


Missed on five in a row before scoring with my "Best Bet" in New York.  Today's Flavor had won three in a row, had Beyers that showed him to be a daylight winner as 83 of the 84 combined figures by the rest of the field wouldn't beat any of those three numbers and the one that would was earned months ago, on the turf no less, by a horse that was 15/1 today.  AND Today's Flavor looked to be the lone speed.  Dueled while confidently handled to the top of the lane then ran away.

Missed in the Gulfstream featured Grade 3 Royal Delta where jockey Javier Castellano - who, to be fair has been riding superbly - allowed Katleen O to sit at the back through a :25 and :50 pace.  And I've seen her, HERE and at today's distance be closer to the pace.  Poorly judged ride in my opinion - second.  But when I came home and watched two of the late races I won two more stakes at the Fair Grounds - both graded events.


Sunday's card at Gulfstream was particularly weak.  I only had three bets and they were not until late in the card.  The one that "figured most" ran second 2nd at 6/5.  And then third at 4/5 when away slowly.  Finally got one final win for the week when Todd Pletcher sent Gliding Afleet plunging down the maiden class ladder to get his first win in impressive fashion.

For the week, the races, as I said were a big more formful, but still, a lot of big prices.

Risen Star Stakes Day Highlights




No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulfstream Week 18

 Florida Derby Week March 27 - 30 It is "closing week" for my Winter Racing Season, culminated with the huge Florida Derby Day adv...