Friday, January 4, 2019

New Year's Week

January 1 - 6
New Year's Week

We kicked off the heart of the Championship Meet with a special six-day racing week.  This week Kim and I were fortunate enough to have my sister Laurie and our niece Khloe coming to visit AND our daughter Julie.  So I played the races online while balancing that with family time, then we all made a day of it Saturday at the track.

Tuesday January 1
The ten race program provided, what I thought were six betting opportunities.  After passing the opener in the second - a maiden claimer going seven furlongs - I thought that program favorite Sunny Sonata had many questions to answer IF you were looking at her and her alone.  But considering that the rivals lined up to challenge here were a combined 0-for-91 and that only two of those races earned Beyer figures that would be competitive with ANY of the top three figures earned by Sunny Sonata, she was a deserving favorite.  She broke sharply under leading rider Luis Saez and took the lead.  Although she was under some pressure the fractions were a tepid :23.3 and an even moderate :48.1 (some dozen lengths or more slower than "average").  Once they turned for home she cut the corner and accelerated home, drawing off with each and every stride.

The minimum play only resulted in a small payoff, but a winner is a winner and it's always good to start the racing week with a victory in the first betting race!  Mischief Maas was the pick in the third, and she was dropping in class from the Claiming Crown Glass Slipper where she was flying late to be second.  I thought she had enough pace to run at here but she was steadied early and came belatedly to be third at 9/5.  Aquaphobia was the 9/5 favorite in the fourth, going a mile on the turf.  Irad Ortiz looked to be cruising to challenge on the turn but when heads turned for home she had no punch and ran evenly to finish fourth.  My "best" of the day came in the seventh with Susie Bee on the turf.  She too was a belated late running third.  I was surprised that Circleofcompetence for Chad Brown and Irad Ortiz showed nothing at 4/1, finishing eighth in the 8th race.  And I finished the day by backing a Todd Pletcher turf runner in a maiden claimer.  Mambo Dancer was a big 6/1 and was right there to the far turn before gradually backing up to finish sixth.

Wednesday January 2
We were up early to head to the airport to pick up our arriving family visitors.  The best "story" of the morning was that when Julie landed at 8:10 am we headed to luggage where the boards showed her luggage would come out on Carousel 6.  Within five minutes they announced that the flight's baggage would come out on Carousel 5 - we walked over and there was no movement, no luggage.  Waited, waited, and waited.  Finally after more than half an hour the light came on and it was obvious these bags were from a flight which had landed after Julie's.  Kim went to the "Lost Baggage" area and they had Julie's bag, saying it had "not been claimed!"  WHAT???!!!!!!

How appropriate was it then that the first bet of the day in the Wednesday opener was on a filly with the name, The Queen Jules!  The race was a five furlong sprint for non-winners of three lifetime.  While Queen Jules had run in conditioned company she was the only one dropping in price.  She was sent off as the 3/2 favorite and she sat patiently off the leaders to the far turn.  She seemed to have the momentum through the stretch but she wasn't accelerating by horses, but gradually grinding away.  The wire came and it was......PHOTO FINISH!  I was pretty sure that she had her nose down first, but it was far from definitive.


Pretty close, but a win's a win!  Didn't like anyone in the second or third and ran a distant sixth at a big 10/1 in the fourth.  Here's one of "those stories" that makes my racing adventures something I so enjoy!  Because we had visitors I had made all my bets earlier in the morning.  So as I sat watching the races and it was about ten minutes prior to post time of the fifth I just completely forgot that I'd done that.  And in the fifth it was my "best" of the day.  Zippy Willy was the clear favorite in this maiden claiming event going seven furlongs.  He'd run 2nd in two maiden special tries and now was being dropped to this $25K level by top trainer Todd Pletcher.  He had the top jockey in Luis Saez and his speed figures were standouts.  He'd be a short price and while you might be leery of taking the small payoff on a big class dropper, he looked even "better" because the only other class droppers had run 6th beaten 20+ lengths, 5th beaten 5 1/2 lengths in his TENTH career start and fifth beaten more than twenty lengths in Tampa.  Sent away as the 1/2 favorite he dueled with the third choice to the far turn and then was cut loose.  The half length lead extended to a full length, to three and to more than seven by the time he crossed the wire all alone.

And because I'd had the memory lapse my triple investment turned into a "BET of the Day" kind of investment and guaranteed a winning day for me!  Didn't like anyone in the following race and then I had an "oh my" experience for about a minute and a half.  In the 7th, a MSW for three-year-olds on the turf, I went with Todd Pletcher's Dance and Dance under John Velazquez.  Right to the front through the first turn, down the backside and through the far turn into the lane.....AT 35/1 ODDS!  OH MY!  But he faded to fifth, still it was a thrill as he led them so far and I was thinking about what kind of return I was about to get!  Didn't like anyone in the eighth but in the ninth, a starter allowance going a mile on the turf I liked the fact that Too Much Data was lightly raced.  But best of all I liked that she had a best of thirty-eight bullet work.  Listed at an inflated 8/1 in the program I thought I'd get a nice price.  She sat mid-pack to the far turn and then began to pick horses off one at a time.  She was fifth at the furlong marker but appeared to be hitting her best stride and as they hit the wire she surged to the front - look carefully below you can see the runner-up just inside!

And at a nice $9 payoff meaning I'd collect over $20 on my minimum play!  When I logged on to xpressbet.com to watch this replay we were minutes from post time for the finale.  I liked Collins Avenue.  Not because he had outstanding form or anything, but on December 5th False Info had been the prohibitive favorite for Todd Pletcher and he'd won for me.  But he'd had to overhaul Collins Avenue that day.  And that was significant not only because he gave a Pletcher runner a run for their money, but False Info had two races under his belt while Collins Ave was a first time starter that day.  I planned to play the minimum but when I logged on he was a very short-priced favorite, not only in the win pool but in all the multi-race payoffs.  So I upped the bet!  After breaking sharply he sat in fourth behind three embattled leaders.  Made his move three-wide on the turn and drew off as clearly the best!

The double-investment win capped a 4-for-6 day and a profit of nearly $40.  Now that's a nice day at the races :)

Anniversary Dinner at Sea Watch
Thursday January 3 - Happy Anniversary!
Today was Kim and my 32nd Wedding Anniversary.  Typically we "give each other" a trip or something we both can share together, but we couldn't come up with anything for this year that we agreed upon.  So I got her a card and an Amazon gift card.  It was one amazing year for sure that saw us travel to Miami, Tampa, and Orlando....take trips to Kansas, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana, Washington, Oregon, Louisiana, Maryland, and New Jersey....and have adventures in the Bahamas, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Germany (twice), France, Switzerland, Great Britain, Scotland, Norway, Iceland, Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary!  WOW.

I had six bets on our big day.  In the opener I was a fading eighth as the tepid 5/2 favorite.  No bets for three in a row before I invested the minimum on Pass The Butter in the fifth, a non-winners of three lifetime going 6 1/2 furlongs.  I didn't like that last time he was plunged to this cheap level and was 4/5 with a clear lead before being caught.  BUT today he got Luis Saez and the move to the top rider would be a very big angle in it's own right, but in just a small sample of rides for this barn Saez had won an amazing 71% of the time.  Appears he only rides when there's a great chance of winning!  He was fourth behind horses to the top of the stretch before Saez ducked inside and 'Butter responded by blowing by to draw off to a widening score.

Didn't make a lot of money as the 9/5 favorite, but got back almost $15.....for a Jockey-Trainer combo winning at 71%, that's not bad I say!  In the sixth I thought Boranda would press the leader in a turf sprint and take over.  Instead he dueled into the lane, got clear and was caught in the shadow  of the wire.  In the 7th Guns of Steel was EVERYBODY'S top pick and was sent off at 3/5 in a one-turn mile.  I knew we were in trouble when the opening quarter was zipped in :23 flat by him and then the half mile in a way-too-fast :45 and change.  Faded late to finish fourth.  Passed the eighth and ran a disappointing eighth at 9/1 in the ninth after being up close to the far turn.  But leave it to Todd Pletcher to save the day!  In the 10th he sent out Ding Dong Ditch in a maiden claiming event on the turf under Luis Saez.  Comfortably stalking the leaders in fourth to the far turn he blew by to assume command and took off home free to the wire.

And the best part, he was a juicy 3/1 so with my double investment I cashed for an even $40 and finished a clear winner for the day!

Friday January 4
Only two bets today.  Both went off as short-priced favorites.....neither hit the board.  Sigh....


Saturday January 5
All five of us headed out to the track today for a full day of racing.  The weather was simply post-card perfect as it never got out of the upper 70's and the skies were nearly cloudless all day.  We arrived about fifteen minutes before post time and headed up to our seats.  Of course we had our photo taken to mark the occasion of a family day at the races.

In the opener  I first looked at the likely favorite, Song of Melody.  WOW - she looked vulnerable as her trainer was off to a 60/1-10-8 start!  Even with top rider Luis Saez up she was worth trying to beat!  But then as I looked at the alternatives, they were even less likely to win, so it was Song of Melody.  Sat just off the pace in fourth to the far turn then blew by and drew off like she was a Breeders' Cup champion to give trainer Antonio Sano just his second win of the meeting.

In the second I had the even money favorite and EVERYONE had followed my program pick of Final Jeopardy - more for the name than because I'd picked him or his credentials.  But he was quickly last out of the gate and was a belated third.  In the third race, a Maiden Special for three-year-olds I narrowed it down to two first time starters.  Turns out I had the second choice at 4/1 in Growth Engine and he surged to the front turning for home but then my second choice, the post-time favorite blew by to win handily while I was a best-of-the-rest second.

In the fourth I had a Todd Pletcher first-time starter in She Loves It.  As has happened sooooo many times at the meet I was away last but had dead aim on the leader turning for home, but never got by.  Second, again at 5/2 odds.  The fifth was the Ginger Brew Stakes and I liked Fortunate Girl to take down the late-running favorite.  Made a bid to second into the lane but the leader never gave way.  At least I was right about the favorite who was closing fast, but too late (2nd).  We had planned to eat lunch at this point so we headed over to our favorite restaurant at Gulfstream, the Yard House.  As we were ordering the sixth race came up.  I had a pick, but no bet.  Yes, of course my runner Lewis Vale WON and at a big 8/1 price.  Seriously?  WOW.  I had a double investment in the seventh, which was the Glitterwoman Stakes for three-year-old fillies.  Fancy Dress Party had won her debut at Keeneland then was a very close second in a small Tampa stake.  That her connections sent her here for a $100K stake, with several of those in the condition book in Tampa told me that they felt she had some ability.  And that top jockey Luis Saez signed on was another positive.  Took command right away and when challenged she drew off.  She may be the real deal!

Had my second winner and with my two best bets coming up in the 9th and 10th I thought I might be on my way to a big day.  Passed the eighth race as we finished lunch.  Then in the ninth, Henley's Joy saved ground into the turn as the prohibitive 3/5 favorite.  Instead of riding the pocket jockey Tyler Gafflione swung some six or seven wide losing valuable ground.  That cost him the race as we was second beaten a neck behind Casa Creed who was 12/1.  That's significant because in my analysis I said, "....one for four with three losses by more than 35 combined lengths but Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott enters him in a stakes with John Velasquez, maybe we'd better pay attention!...."  Wish I'd taken my own advice.  In the tenth, the Mucho Macho Man for Derby hopefuls my pick Code of Honor was a miniscule 1/5 off a second in the Grade 1 Champagne.  Hall of Fame trainer was interviewed prior to the race and said they HOPED he was good enough to be considered for the spring big races.  Never really threatened in fourth.  And with that we headed home to get ready for the hockey game (which the Panthers lost in overtime!).  Still, it was a gorgeous day and we enjoyed being at Gulfstream for the afternoon.

Sunday January 6
Had four picks from the eleven races, and one scratched.  After passing the first four I was FLYING as the 8/5 favorite in the fifth - 2nd.  In the sixth I had Angelina for Todd Pletcher and John Velazquez.  Rated to the stretch, edged to the front then was no match for the 3/2 favorite, second again.  And in the 10th I was a fading 7th as the 6/5 favorite.  So with the exception of the two middle days of the week it was not a noteworthy week of handicapping.  But, we're back at it next week and I will be out here for another big day of action from not only Gulfstream but around the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulfstream Week 18

 Florida Derby Week March 27 - 30 It is "closing week" for my Winter Racing Season, culminated with the huge Florida Derby Day adv...