Monday, December 6, 2021

Opening Weekend 2021-22 Championship Season

December 3 - 5

WHOOOO HOOOO!  The Championship Season is here!   Big time racing returned to South Florida on Friday, and even though it seemed less like a "new season" since there had been racing here all fall under the guise of the "Flamingo Meet" with Calder's track no longer available, it was "NEW" to me as I had not been to live racing at Gulfstream since last April.  Hard to believe that during that time period I played over 1,100 races!  WOW.  This is how what turned out to be a MOST amazing weekend played out for me.......

Friday:  Opening Day 
Because I was headed out with my buddy Keith to spend the day at the track I handicapped not only the local runners, but also Aqueduct, the Fair Grounds, and Oaklawn Park where it was also their Opening Day.  Normally they open in mid-January, but this year they have an extended winter meeting as well.  Good for them!  And speaking of Oaklawn, it was there that I finally cashed the first ticket at a window in their opening race.  I'd missed on six in a row, four times of which I ran third......sigh.  In the first in Hot Springs it was a restricted claiming event for runners who'd not won a race since March 3, 2020.  A very snug fit for those conditions was Take Charge Erica who had last won on April 22nd, and that had capped a two-for-three winter season here.  Both of those came vs. much better than today's event.  The rest of the field was a woeful 0-for-16 locally.  She raced to the front, took lots of pressure and then held the advantage late.

And the best part, somehow in spite of the "obvious advantages" she paid a solid $9.40 allowing me to collect nearly $25.  And we're off and winning!  I had several "breaks" in the selections today so after missing once more it was time for the first stakes event of the winter, the Wait A While Stakes for 2yo fillies going a mile on the turf.  It appeared to me that most of these fillies wanted to be forwardly placed, and even though Lia Marina was exiting turf sprints, in both of her career tries she'd run by horses late.  I thought jockey Tyler Gaffalione would get her settled and then the filly could run by to win.  Into the first turn she was up close and pressing the lead, but not actually on the lead.  She split rivals into the lane, dueled with one on the inside and one on the outside, but edged clear late.  And she paid $7.60 so I cashed for nearly $40.  And in an interesting twist, I had thought it was interesting that handicapper Acacia Courtney had NOT picked this filly on top - not because of her credentials, but because she was trained by Christophe Clement, Acacia's future father-in-law!  When the filly was led into the winner's enclosure Acacia went in and who'd saddled her to the win?  Her intended, Miguel!  This was doubly interesting because I'd had a bet in the first and third locally, but with no play in the second I'd hung out around the paddock area and chatted with Acacia.  When I told her I tweeted with her often, she recognized my handle and said she appreciated the comments.  I asked if she minded a photo together, and she was so sweet and said, "Sure, sure" and smiled for the camera :)  I posted our photo and gave a big congrats to "Mr. Acacia" - to which she thanked me online :)

Two Gulfstream Handicappers :)
On the board at GP for the winter
Celebration in the winner's circle

All day long in New York it had been one longshot after another, some real whoppers!  In the fifth: $45.80 winner; even bigger in the sixth at $104.50; followed by a $40.40 winner in the seventh!  It was approaching post time for their finale, an allowance turf sprint going six furlongs and I had passed the race.  But I pulled up the odds with five minutes to post and saw that She's The One was a prohibitive, even money choice.  And she was hammered in all the mult-race wagers.  My initial thought was that everyone was about to lose again, and then I thought....."Track Psychology!"  EVERYONE would be looking for yet another longshot when in fact, this horse probably walks with it to close out the program.  I went to the windows and invested.  Turning for home announcer John Imbrialle said, "She's the One has a lot of work to do...." but she got into the clear and blew by to win for fun.  Oh yeah, sometimes I'm so smart I scare myself :)

The second of the two opening day stakes was approaching at Gulfstream, the Pulpit for two-year-old colts going a mile on the turf like the Wait A While.  Before heading to the races I'd made a chart where I listed my picks, Acacia's picks, and those of full-time GP analyst Ron Nicoletti.  In this race all three of us had named Red Danger as the one to beat.  And for Acacia, this was her BET of the Day.  I re-read my analysis and noted that I'd seen that seventeen of the eighteen figures of the other colts would not beat the LAST THREE Beyers posted by the favorite.  I really liked him and Acacia was hanging her hat on him.  Good enough - I upped the bet!  Tracked the leaders into the far turn, swung up four wide and was floated even wider as heads turned for home.  A five-wide challenger came to him and briefly it was three across the track....then it was Red Danger and the fellow closer dueling for a 16th of a mile.  But then we edged clear to score with my triple investment returning nearly $30 on my fifth winner of the day, second at Gulfstream and second stakes win of the day.

One race left, a non-winners of two lifetime on the new all-weather track.  The question was IF you were willing to trust Ocean Ride today.  Two back for a richer $20K 2L tag he'd been the favorite....dueled through the lane and fell a nose short at today's mile-70 distance.  Last time out he stepped up to OPEN starter company and stretched out to 8 1/2 furlongs and again was the favorite.  But he gave way to very disappointing sixth.  Now a double drop in class.  Hmmmm.  YES, he's the bet!  He split horses at the top of the lane and was driven by Tyler G to surge to the front just in time to give me my THIRD win at Gulfstream.

Collected over $20 and then as Keith and I were having a bite to eat outside the paddock at the Yardhouse I watched Hanna Road score for my sixth winner of the day in a turf MSW at the Fair Grounds.  It was a good first day!

SIX WINS On Opening Day :)

Opening Weekend:  Racing Highlights
Part 1

Saturday:  Claiming Crown Day

After being at live racing all day, we were right back at it today.  I was thinking while we were driving out that I cannot remember the last time I went to Gulfstream on consecutive days.  But I intended to make the most of it!  I started off with three losses - ran 2nd at Aqueduct when the DRF 20/1 choice went off as the 2/1 second pick, then missed in the GP opener.  Ironically I had written that jockey Paco Lopez would have a BIG day today, and he won the opener, but I had a better idea.  I was 2nd in NY again, then in the third at Gulfstream (passed on the second) I came FLYING to the first finish line at a big 7/1 but just missed to....yes, another Paco Lopez winner.  WOW.  Wait, objection and inquiry.....oh maybe I've got the winner....no.  In the fourth at GP it was the first of the multiple Claiming Crown stakes, this being the Claiming Crown Distaff Dash.  I've seen Payntdembluesaway run several times and I've cashed with her previously.  She loves the Hallandale inner course with three wins in four tries and I thought she'd sit forwardly for, yes Paco.  Broke sharply and pressed a 45/1 front runner into the lane then took off as MUCH the best.  My first winner LIVE and the first stakes win of the day!

I was looking forward to the Aqueduct card today as they had four graded events - which had kept nearly all the "big name" riders there and away from here for Opening Weekend.  But I got my first win in the the fifth, what looked like an innocuous MSW for 2yo fillies going two turns on the turf.  In the first I'd picked a Todd Pletcher 2yo first time starter because none with experience looked enticing.  That was the bet-down 2nd.  So here it was very similar.  Those with experience didn't look to be much and the only firster that appealed was Marketsegmentation.  What appealed most were the connections - trainer Chad Brown, jockey Irad Ortiz, and owners Khlaravich Stables.  This combination at Saratoga on the grass in an event like this would be odds-on, so the early DRF number of 20/1 was OBVIOUSLY way off.  When I went to bet he was 7/1 and I hesitated - maybe, just maybe he's not as good as most Brown/Ortiz turf maidens.  But then I thought, no...maybe we get a fair price here.  As they left the gate and he sat the most ideal trip I was amazed to see him on the board still at 7/1.  The field turned for home as he hugged the rail and Irad slipped him between horses and into the clear.  Uh oh, we've got a chance I thought - then he exploded and drew off by more than half a dozen!  OH MY and the final odds were 8/1 - paid $18.40 and I cashed for almost $100 with my double investment.  OHHHH I am having a very good day, and I am so very much enjoying being at the track!


Celebrating the BIG WIN!

With Paco already having three wins on the day he looked to be as close to a lock as possible at 3/5 in the Claiming Crown Express going six panels on the main track.  Sigh....second, go figure.  Picked up my first and what turned out to be only win at Oaklawn when Home Brew drew off easily in their second race, a 2you allowance going a two-turn mile.

Missed on three in a row before it was time for the first of the New York graded events, this being the Grade 3 Go For Wand at a distance of one mile around one turn.  As I noted in my analysis, it's a racing axiom to never bet a horse to do something they've never done, especially at a short price.  But in handicapping the rule is THERE ARE NO RULES.  And so I thought Brad Cox's Lady Rocket looked strong in here despite never having gone beyond sprint distances.  I thought so because she had "paired" Beyer figures (94-94) in her last two that topped all the others' best numbers - and that would be an indication she'd probably move forward today.  AND both of those sharp efforts came going 7f which is awfully similar to the one-turn mile.  She had early pressure to the far turn, disposed of those, and then turning for home the stalkers made their move.  But Lady Rocket had a ton of energy left and drew off, winning "with style" by more than eight lengths.  Cashed for more than $20 on my fourth win of the day.    Followed that up two races later at the Fair Grounds with an easy winner in Dowagiac Chiefon the turf there.  I'm having a good day, but only a single win LIVE.  Sigh....you never know.

Next up was the 9th from Aqueduct - the winner of the Grade 2 Remsen in Race 8 had been the horse I preferred but didn't have enough confidence in him.  Here I liked Todd Pletcher's filly, Nest.  She'd won at first asking going a mile and a sixteenth under Irad.  Then was a very close third when cut back to a one turn mile.  I thought with Irad getting back on today and more importantly the stretch out to nine furlongs the daughter of Breeders' Cup Classic winner Curlin would be more likely to win today.  She rated off the pace, being 3-4 wide all the way around.  Moved five wide on the turn and wore down the leader late.  That made three straight stakes for Irad and two in a row for Mr. Todd Pletcher.  The INQUIRY sign lit up and they looked at the stretch run......no change, whew!  Cashed for over $40 on my third stakes winner and sixth win overall.

The Claiming Crown Rapid Transit going seven furlongs was next locally and I liked Miles Ahead, again with Paco Lopez.  The conditions called for runners to have been entered for $25K or less, and he'd run for $16K early in the year.  But this past summer he'd won the Grade 3 Smile here.  The big question was could he handle the seven furlongs?  Paco had him pressing the lead into the far turn but he looked to have a TON of horse underneath him.  When asked he took off easily, opened up quickly and was geared down through the final furlong.  Collected almost $35 with my triple investment.  

I closed out the day in New York in the national highlighted event, the Grade 1 Cigar Mile.  I'd seen Pletcher's Americanrevolution win a month ago in a nine furlong STATE-bred event.  He was so very dominant that I wasn't surprised that the top conditioner in North America wanted to take a shot at this big prize.  I figured I'd get a "fair" price with the step up in company and he was 5/2.  But all the way to the far turn he was in between horses and I thought looked very uncomfortable.  On the turn jockey Luis Saez had to ask him to run and that's not good, or so I thought.  Swept up three wide into the lane and all the sudden he looked to have found another gear.  Bearing down on his stablemate, Following Sea....caught him with 100 yards to go and surged past.  WHOOO HOOOO.  Paid a generous $7.50 and I collected nearly $60 as I swept the three NY graded events I'd bet on today!

Three-for-Three In My Picks In The NY Graded Stakes!

I looked to have the winner, another Paco pick in the Claiming Crown Jewel when Hanelie's Houdini easily took the lead and opened up turning for home.  But in the final strides a closer came flying up the rail to get the money, second.  Sigh....But there was one left on the card, the Claiming Crown Emerald.  Paco was looking to finish off a huge day on Mid Day Image who was a whopping 5/1 as they approached the gate.  In my analysis I'd written, "..... Is it just “one of those days” for Paco Lopez today?  How has the day gone for him so far?  Because if I’m right, he’s in the midst of an OMG afternoon, and if that’s the case ride the wave as he looks to send 1-Mid Day Image (10/1) right to the front and kissing this field a pleasant good afternoon.  The 5yo is a perfect 2-for-2 at the trip and 3-for-4 here locally....."  Just as I anticipated, right out of the gate Paco said "GO" and quickly Mid Day Image was on a loose and lonely lead.  Uh oh, this looks awfully good for me!  Opened up even more daylight turning for home and coasted home to score at $8.20 allowing me to earn another $40 and change.  MAN I've had a HUGE day!  Finished up the first big Saturday with a 9-for-23 afternoon and a very generous profit in hand thanks especially to that big NY maiden win!


Sunday December 5 
It's often that I am faced with this "dilemma" - after a big day AT the races on Saturday, I have selections for Sunday.  Should I just ride out the week or should I not play and take my winnings and hide?  What's the fun in that, and besides you just never know.  Well, more prophetic words could not have been spoken (or written!) my friend.  I didn't like anyone in either of the first two events.  The third was a MSW for 2yo going a mile on the turf, and honestly no one looked all that strong to me.  And the fourth was a very similar event - MSW for 2yo - but on the dirt going 6f.  There were Todd Pletcher runners in both, both first time starters.  And as I wrote, "....I learned a long time ago to NEVER let a Pletcher first time 2yo in Dec or 3yo the rest of the meet get away...."  And in the fourth this was JUST the kind of event where sometimes you make money because the conception is that Pletcher isn't all that good with grass runners.  And so I bet Sister Nell who was 8/1 in the program.  With ten minutes to post time as I was ready to wager she was 12/1.  Wait, what?  Maybe this is a waste of my racing bankroll.  Then I said to myself, "it's Pletcher...you never know...."  And so I put the bet in.  Right away she was taken back, but jockey Junior Alvarado got her to mid-pack before the first turn.  Down the backstretch she looked comfortable and I thought, "mmmmm, maybe...."  On the turn she began to gather some momentum, but she'd need to find running room.  Rather than lose ground Alvarado hugged the rail.  At the furlong pole a narrow seam opened and I could see she was really accelerating.  I had the thought, "OH MY I'm going to cash BIG TIME!"  Surging to the front in the shadow of the wire to WIN....and at the over-inflated price of OMG 14/1 - are YOU KIDDING ME?  Sister Nell paid $30.20 and I cashed for $151!  OH I'm have a great day and a wonderful opening weekend.

YOWZA!  I LOVE Gulfstream Championship Season!

Ironically the "more likely" Pletcher winner, Liam's Kiss, in the next race was 2nd at even money.  Ho Ho Ho - you have to just RUN with all Pletcher horses at Gulfstream.  WHOOOO HOOOO.  Passed on the next, then fourth, then a just miss 2nd before getting to the "featured" ninth, a turf sprint.  Miss Auramet who was making her first NON-stakes start in her last nine appearances.  On the other hand, she'd not won here since 2019.  But she clearly looked fastest and to have the most class of this allowance group.  Right to the front for jockey Edgard Zayas and easily to the wire!

While I only had two wins for the day from six picks, I was a BIG time profitable winner.  And for the week I was a GINORMOUS winner....

And here's the ironic part, and/or an indication of just how good the week was.....you'd figure, if you've read the entire account of the week, that I had the HUGE profit because of that big NY maiden winner and the Pletcher first timer.  But the reality is, those two accounted for $240, so even if I'd lost with BOTH of those, I'd still have made a profit of over $75, which for three days and on ANY week, is a great week.  Ohhh, I love Gulfstream and this time of the year!

Opening Weekend - Racing Highlights
Part 2


The Week in Social Media......going from the most recent, to earlier in the week, I had a lot of interaction with pals on social media.  Sunday afternoon, when I hit the big Todd Pletcher winner I reached out to Gulfstream Handicapper Acacia Courtney and shared my successful wager.

My very own sweetie, my wife Kim, was away for Opening Weekend on a "Girls Getaway Weekend" in Indiana.  She and her pals were at a Christmas party where my honey got to see Santa :)

CBS-4 Weekend anchor Karli Barnett is a Univ. of Georgia alum and they were playing for the SEC title on Saturday.  I reached out to her.  And later in the weekend she posted that from Disney World.  We exchanged messages and she posted she'd be hosting a FaceBook "Live" conversation on Sunday night so I let her know I'd tune in.  And as you'll see farther below I had a big part in the hour-long chat.  Fun times on Social Media.


One of my best track-buddies is former assistant principal Jeff Nelson.  He and his wife Gina are long time Florida Derby guests and we've had other track days.  I knew both his son and daughter as they grew up at CBHS and I've become FB pals with Chloe.  She posted about the holiday season being so special and I replied about how it was my favorite time of the year :)

Once I got to the track on Friday I took, obviously duh, a selfie to post.  I sent it to my gal-pal Kimmy and she replied.

Obviously the racing is the whole idea of going to Gulfstream Park.  But I have always found it cool that "our girl" Acacia Courtney - resident handicapper on air during the Championship Meet does full time hosting duty on Fox Sports broadcast, "America's Day at the Races."  So when she closed up her NY gig to head south I reached out to her and wanted to say hi face-to-face.  So on Opening Day I caught her as she was leaving the paddock.  She was so sweet to stop and talk with me and happily posed for a pic with me.

Of course the highlight of the week was going to Gulfstream, but nearly as cool - and cooler in many ways came on Wednesday when I was sitting at the computer handicapping when I got a text message from my "Disney Girl," Amanda.  I met her as a sophomore some thirty plus years ago at Western High.  We kept in touch through her junior year; and then she was in my senior Econ class.  After graduation we've stayed in close communication as she met her husband and has had three boys.  We try to get together, but especially her busy life often precludes that.  So TODAY she reached out and asked what I was doing because she was in the area and wanted to get together.  So of course I hopped in the car and we met to catch up for a couple hours.  And after posting the photo, another FB friend, Jen Greb remarked "two of my faves" - I had no idea they were gal-pals!

Mid-week I was having a "conversation" via text with my gal-pal Kimmy and I noted to her that it was a year ago this week that on Opening Day at Gulfstream I stopped by her house and met her future fiancée, and little did we know at the time but she was expecting her beautiful little girl.

One of last year's assistant "coaches" at Oasis High, Kelly posted some pics in a cute red dress.  Such a sweet girl - she's moved on to a high school in Sarasota where she's in a position as a full-time trainer and being paid a full paycheck.  Good for you Coach Kelly!

Early in the week one of my former students, Jen Greb was on a Disney vacation with her husband and two little girls.  I noted that there's NOTHING like Disney Days, which I'm sure she remembers from our days in "Mickonomics" at Western High.

This week our youngest son Brad's childhood gal-pal, and my "adopted daughter," Jillian was having a reading of one of her children's books.  So proud of our "little girl" to be a published author now.

Early in the week former Cypress Bay High pal Jen Cook, "Cookie" and I exchanged messages....she has "applied for" the job of assistant track person.  We've talked about her "new career for years, and she continues to ask if the position is still open :) - yes Jen, just waiting on you!

Our pal Sha was on our social calendar to meet for lunch, but the day before she became ill and we were not able to meet.  Hoping to reschedule.

And, as I said earlier, Sunday I chatted quite a bit with CBS-4 Weekend anchor Karli Barnett.  Here are the multiple video clips of when she was talking with me specifically :)

Facebook Conversation With Karli Barnett



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gulfstream Week 18

 Florida Derby Week March 27 - 30 It is "closing week" for my Winter Racing Season, culminated with the huge Florida Derby Day adv...